|Hometown:||Kilwinning, North Ayrshire|
|Big Brother 9|
Michael Hughes is a housemate from Big Brother 9.
When Michael (Mikey) was 23 he lost his sight whilst undergoing an operation and has now been blind for 10 years. Mikey works as a radio producer for a blind radio station called 'Radio Insight' and in 2007 was part of a team that won a Sony Radio Academy Award. He is extremely proud of his career and feels privileged to be doing what he does. If he won a million pounds he would like to quit his job and write radio plays and books, plus buy a pet pig!
Mikey describes himself as wacky, zany and non-conformist and considers his best ability is to make others laugh. His favourite party trick is to do stand-up comedy whilst dressed up in girls' clothes.
Mikey decided to audition for Big Brother this year as in the past people could smoke in the House and he dislikes the smell of smoke due to his acute sense of smell. He hopes his time in the Big Brother House will help him to be more tolerant of people and would like to come across as an entertaining housemate and not boring or a grumbler.
Big Brother 9
Michael did not face the public vote once throughout his entire stay in the House. He finished the series in second place with 48.7% of the public vote, and left the House on Day 93.
|Michael's Nominations History|
|Jennifer, Rebecca, Sylvia|
|Head of House|
|Runner-Up, Day 93|
He ran as an independent in the 2009 Glasgow North East by-election receiving 54 votes.
- Thus far, Michael is the only ever blind person to take part in a series of Big Brother.
- Due to his disability, Michael was guided into the House by a member of the Big Brother production crew.
- Michael and Dennis McHugh were the only two Scottish housemates in Big Brother 9.
- In Big Brother 9, Michael received the least amount of nominations out of all the finalists.
- Half of Michael's six nominations were cast against him in Week 3.
- Aside from Dennis who was ejected from the House, Michael was the only Big Brother 9 housemate not to face the public vote prior to the Final public vote-to-win.
- In Big Brother 9, housemates living on the Hell side of the House had to gain the right to nominate; Michael and Kathreya Kasisopa were the only two housemates who were not eligible to nominate one week after they failed to gain the right to do so.
- Michael was the last remaining male housemate in the Big Brother 9 House.
|Big Brother 9 Housemates|
Alexandra De-Gale · Belinda Harris-Reid · Dale Howard · Darnell Swallow · Dennis McHugh · Jennifer Clark · Kathreya Kasisopa · Lisa Appleton · Luke Marsden · Mario Marconi · Maysoon Shaladi · Michael Hughes · Mohamed Mohamed · Nicole Cammack · Rachel Rice · Rebecca Shiner · Rex Newmark · Sara Folino · Stephanie McMichael · Stuart Pilkington · Sylvia Barrie